Massachusetts AgriScience Excellence Award
BRINGING AGRICULTURE INTO THE CLASSROOM
The Massachusetts AgriScience Excellence Award is sponsored by the Trustees of the Eastern States Exposition, in cooperation with Massachusetts Agriculture in the Classroom.
The purpose of the award is to:
1. Recognize a teacher who has demonstrated a commitment to the award's criteria while highlighting the ____educational experiences offered during The Big E in West Springfield, MA.
2. Build awareness of The Big E, New England's Premier Exposition.
3. Promote the mission of Massachusetts Agriculture in the Classroom (MAC) to foster an awareness and _ ___ learning in all areas related to the food and agriculture industries and the economic and social importance ___ of agriculture to the state, nation and world.
The recipient of this award shall be a teacher who works with outstanding effectiveness to promote awareness of the critical role of agriculture in our society.
Areas of achievement that will be considered include raising awareness of topics related to local food production, local farming and agricultural sustainability in the context of the classroom and school community and, when possible, within existing curricula.
• Be a MA teacher currently teaching in a public or private K-12 school.
• Complete an application form with a brief description of teaching activities that meet the established criteria.
• Submit a letter of support from his or her school principal.
• Organize and chaperone a group of students to the Big E in September 2014.
• Publicize the award and the field trip via local media sources.
• Submit a final report to MAC and the trustees of the Big E (form available here)
The recipient of this award will receive:
• Recipient recognition plaque
• Classroom grant of $200
• Free bus transportation to The Big E in West Springfield in September 2014 (one school bus, weekday)
• Free admission to The Big E in West Springfield in September 2014 (for students and chaperones.)
• Applications due: February 14, 2014
• Recipient announcement at MAC Event
• Bus requirements and funding established
• Award Presentation (Mass Day at The Big E, if possible)
• Class field trip to The Big E (weekday)